For real, I look back at the past month and a half and at all the things and projects I have been apart of and can't help but wonder. I know I wrote a lot about the time in the karo tribe and Kenya a little but here are some other projects my team has been involved in that we are putting in the book we are making:
Garbage City - basically its the hugest dump I have ever seen on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. There are a lot of people who live there and have made houses out of the trash and pick through it everyday to
find food and other things. A group from our team has been there and invested in relationships with the people and we want to help them find a way out of there and get an education. As I have learned, in Africa without an education, you really don't have a chance at a life.
Cafe Rahab - Another team made friends with some prostitutes in a town called Jinka in the south of Ethiopia, actaully the same town where the orphanage we started is. They all wanted out of it, but had no way. They had a dream of opening a cafe, so we gave a bunch of team money and are helping them open a cafe. It will be a place for women who want out of prostitution, can go and earn money and go to school and evenutally be able to leave and work other places. Its just to help them get started.
Drawn from Water - This is what we have called the orphanage. So after I left for Kenya, a small group from our team went back to the tribes and got 6 more children. And since then, our friend who is running the orphanage got 2 more. Now there is a total of 9 children including Bale. God is so good. He is just opening doors everywhere for this project to take off and we can see that He is in this completely. It still needs a lot of prayer though to get everything worked out legally and then for the funds to build the orphanage and keep it running.
Also this month. the Karo tribe has a huge festival to celebrate the end of the harvest. Some members from our team and Lalay, the founder of the orphanage, who is Karo, are going to speak to the leaders about the whole mengi situation and try to show and communicate in a good way that these children are not cursed.
Emrofena School - So while I was in Kenya for the first 8 days we had no idea why God had brought us there. Our original plan was to go into Sudan to refugee camps. But we could not get visas. So we prayed constantly about where to go and what to do and why we were there.
Well God led us to Mombasa on the coast of Kenya. We have a friend there who is on staff with ywam in Germany and he was home for vacation. Anyway, his mother and family started a preschool about one month ago for underpriviliged children. All the funds come out of their pockets and they don't have much money to start with. She is a retired school teacher and has a huge heart for the children. All of them cannot afford to go to school and most of them are HIV positive and live on the street with their parents, if they have them. God really moved in my heart while we were there to do something to help. They have nothing, its a cement walled dirt floor building with one little table for 50 children. They have no school supplies at all. Not even crayons. It was so pitiful, they are so beautiful and bright and it breaks my heart to think that they don't have so many of the things we take for granted at home. What they do have, which is hardly anything, they are so grateful for. It was amazing there, and it really touched my heart. I know I am going back there someday.
So yeah, we have been so busy and God is moving and it is really clear.
I will try and update more when I can. Please keep praying for out projects and for Bale. I'm hopefully going back to see her next week.
Thank you for your prayers.
If you have any questions or anything or want to know more about something, please email me.
annababe.dehart@gmail.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Annababe,
Just letting you know how blessed we are to read your posts and see how God is using you.
Annababe,
How thankful I am that you are being used by God to help these people who need so much! It sounds like you have found your calling. We love you, and will continue to pray for you. Come see us when you get back.
Post a Comment